"BOOM! GOT IT!"

If you’re around my son long enough, you will quickly pick up on a common phrase of his.  “BOOM GOT IT!” If he asks me, “Which car is faster Mom? A Lamborghini or a corvette?” I will respond with the obvious choice, “a Lamborghini hun!” And he will respond with his signature statement, “Boom! Got it!” 
Typically, this statement is super enthusiastic.  On occasion it has been said in a monotone voice.  For instance, he may ask if he can watch a TV show and I may inform him that he must do a few chores first.  He may respond with a less enthusiastic, “boom got it.” But nonetheless, he’s sure to respond with his same phrase.
With this phrase he is communicating that he understands and has downloaded the information I gave him and he is carrying out.  It’s as if he is saying, “Message received.  I will proceed accordingly.”

Over the past weekend, we have the wonderful opportunity of being prayed over by someone we know and trust. This dear friend, mentor and sort of spiritual father (yes I have been blessed with a few!) shared with me what impressions he was given when praying over me.  He held back a bit and then said, “OK, I’m just going to say it!” I braced myself for what he was going to say… He continued on, “I feel like there’s some reluctancy on your part. Do you know why this may be?” He told me that it’s not as if I’m hesitant to follow and obey what the Lord asks of me, but it’s as if I am potentially reluctant in a few ways.  (By the way, if you don’t have a safe place with people you know and trust to pray over you, I recommend you find it! There is so much that can be benefited from it! This is where people catch your “blindspots.”)  I had a few days to digest what was spoken over me in prayer.  Today, I feel like the Lord is speaking out of that message that was spoken over me. He’s used my son’s sweet phrase to capture the thought behind it.  

The Lord should be constantly downloading his heart to us.  This can be what He thinks/feels about us or what he thinks/feels about a situation.  If we have an open relationship with the Lord, he should be downloading. Likewise, we should be receiving that download and should be carrying out whatever he is speaking to us.  

James 1:19-27
Be quick to hear, be doers, not hearers only.  

The purpose is not hearing just to hear, but hearing in order to act!

I’ll give you an example that also came from this past weekend.  We were out to dinner with this sweet mentor in the faith, and his wife. During our time together at a restaurant, the Lord specifically highlighted another couple that was sitting at a different table.  I vaguely knew them.  The wife had been my cashier at a store a year prior and the husband I had seen randomly at the gas station or around town here or there.  I felt like the Lord said, “What are the odds that you see this couple this often and there are here at this specific restaurant at this time and neither of you live close to here?  There is a reason Val.  You need to go pay their bill.”  My response, “Well God.  That’s a really good question…you’re right I mean that is a lot of coincidences.  How about this? If the waitress comes back then I will let her know very discretly that I will take their bill.” 

Well, the waitress never did come around for awhile.  In the meantime I watched the couple.  There was quite a bit of movement and actually the husband got up and went to the hostess stand, spoke with the hostesses for awhile.  The husband and wife were both talking and both looked embarrassed.  I got up and went to the hostess stand and asked if everything was ok.  I inquired about that couple.  The hostesses said they were having some problems paying their bill.  I literally heard God say, “UMMM HELLO! If you would have gone to pay the bill this wouldn’t even be happening right now!”

Thus, “reluctancy” proves to be something God is convicting me on.  
He’s even using my son to show me what the proper response should be when he speaks to me.  I should be saying, “BOOM! GOT IT!”

My challenge to you is the same thing that clearly the Lord is challenging me with.  Are you prone to being reluctant when you hear? As James 1 says, are we not just hearing the Lord speak but then sitting and waiting for the waitress to approach us? Are we HEARING and then DOING? We can have miss opportunities when we are reluctant to act.  

Thank you for this lesson Lord! It’s clear as day now and BOOM.  I finally GOT IT!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison: The Invisible Poison

“It’s been a long week”

Idleness vs. Active Rest