All Access Pass



We have a home that was built in the early 1900s.  Our master bedroom and bathroom was an addition to the home, and used to be the sunroom.  Our bedroom door is a full glass door.  The bathroom door is a barndoor that Michael crafted for the space, complete with a roller track.  Our bedroom is just a few steps away from our living room, and one step away from our sitting room.  Needless to say, there is not much privacy for us.  Our big dog has figured out how to open both the bedroom door and the bathroom door. It’s pretty clear that he has full access to us at anytime.  

Similarly, our children feel the freedom to walk into our bedroom and bathroom at any moment.  (Part of me finds this incredibly annoying and part of me finds this endearing.) 
Oftentimes I will be showering and a child will come in and say “Hey Mom! Whatchya doin?”
My usual response is, “I’m just showering buddy.  I’ll be out in about 5 minutes.” 
My children simply know that they want or need me and they go directly to wherever they believe me to be. I do love that they have grown up in an environment where they could come to Mom or Dad and get whatever they needed.  
As I was taking my shower this morning and a kiddo came in just to figure out where I was, I felt like God was showing me the parallels.  


As we see in Matthew 27, the veil was torn.  The veil that separated God’s presence from His people was torn in two.  God was no longer confined to a certain place and we were no longer confined in our access.

Hebrews 10:19-22
Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.


Previously, only a high priest could enter the most holy place.  But once the veil was torn, there was no need to go through a priest.  At that moment, it’s as if we were given an all access pass.  You have been given an all access pass.  I have been given an all access pass.  
It’s like my dog who had opened the barndoor with his nose.  No longer is there a barrier between he and I.  The same is true between me and the Lord, and you and the Lord. No longer is there a need for a mediator to speak on our behalf.  No longer do we need a priest to act on our behalf.  We can have direct communication with the Father.  We can access Him at anytime.  Like my children access me “just to make sure I’m there,” we can access the Father just to make sure He is present.  

On occasion, I’ve showered in the morning and a child has quickly come in to ask for something.  “Mom can I have ice cream?” To which I quickly respond, “Sure hun.  Wait! Ice cream? In the morning? No!” Some of the requests have been quite comical. Sometimes I feel a little caught off guard.  But the principal remains; my children know they can access me at anytime. 
No matter the request, my children know they can ask me.  Even if it’s as silly as asking for ice cream in the morning.  Even if it’s as serious as taking care of an injury. Even if it’s as personal as sharing a hurt or offense.  No matter what they are coming to me about, they are confident in knowing that I am present and will hear them.  They can access me.  You have been granted that very same access to the Great Alpha and Omega, the Mighty God of the ages.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison: The Invisible Poison

“It’s been a long week”

Idleness vs. Active Rest