Picasso’s in the Making

After plenty of “Mom turn your head,” and “Mom, don’t look at this yet,” I was finally able to see what was done for me. My little girl is such a gift giver. She absolutely loves to make things for me around the house. The quote “one mans trash is another man’s treasure” could not ring truer with this particular kiddo. She will find anything and everything and figures out a way to make a gift out of it. 

She lined a Rubbermaid tub with fabric and put stickers throughout to create a camp scene. In the center of the tub she placed a little container with some dirt and twigs. As she beamed she had me open my eyes to discover my surprise. (It was a surprise as I learned she used my extra fabric to reupholster a chair.) 
In that moment, it occurred to me that we give whatever we have. 

It also occurred to me that we as parents receive gifts from our children based on the heart behind the gifts, not based on the particular value of the item. I don’t think the resale would be very high on a tub filled with stickers. 
Likewise, I don’t expect my 7 year olds painting to be like Picasso’s. Knowing the time and energy she put into my gift, I place a high value on this gift. 

So often I feel like we as Christians put pressure on ourselves believing that we must be the very best at something before 
  1. We can offer it to the Lord. 
  2. God can use it. 

More often than not I meet people and instantly think “wow. This person could be an absolute mover and shaker for God’s kingdom.” When I ask them who they are investing into their response is often, “I don’t feel equipped to do that.” These are the moments I want to say “You don’t have to be Picasso to paint a beautiful picture!”


Do I expect That my daughter will grow in her ability to paint and create as she gets older? Without question. But as her mother, I know her ability will grow with her age. I believe this is true of the Lord and his parental heart. He delights in our willingness to offer him what we can, where we are right now. So take a deep breath. Exhale. And know that whatever you have to offer him, he is delighted with. I think of the passage in Luke 21 where a woman gave two small copper coins. Jesus put a higher value on those two pennies given. Why? Because he was that desperate? No, because he knew the state of the heart in which the giver gave. It’s not about what you have to give. It’s about your heart in the midst of giving. My daughter was elated to gift me with her handmade treasure. I felt her love for me as I received the gift she gave and in that moment, her gift meant more to me than any expensive store-bought item. So, my question for you is, what do you have to offer in the season? You don’t have to be Picasso to contribute something beautiful. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison: The Invisible Poison

“It’s been a long week”

Idleness vs. Active Rest