Testifiers: Storytellers


We are testifiers: story tellers
(Yes “testifier” is a word. I checked.)

I don’t know about you but I absolutely love hearing stories. I was always that one person who had a great story but could never hold people in suspense and deliver the end well. My husband, on the other hand is a phenomenal joke teller and storyteller. Of course he never exaggerates and according to him, I am the world‘s biggest exaggerator ever. The problem for me is usually that when I tell a funny story I am laughing even before I can get the words out. My husband will usually say “if you have to laugh at it in order to get others to laugh at it, it’s probably not that funny.“ 

Today I heard a great story by a great storyteller. This woman was so excited to share about what God had done in her life that she just got louder and more excited and more passionate as she spoke. She was working at the time, but you wouldn’t have known it because she was so determined to share all of the cool things that God had just done in her life that nothing else mattered. 

Testifying is sharing something firsthand. Great storytelling and testifying go hand in hand. 

God will write the story, he will come up with the material, and all we have to do is retell the experiences that he gives us. What? That’s it? I don’t have to write a three page discourse on my testimony and memorize it? Nope. Just share what you’ve experienced. 
I personally have so much material that I could talk and talk for days and days of the experiences that the Lord has given me. I just need to up my storytelling game a little bit and perhaps tweak my delivery. Right Michael? Wink wink 

Psalm 66:16
Come and hear, all you who fear God, and I will tell what he has done for my soul.

Deuteronomy 4:9
"Only give heed to yourself and keep your soul diligently, so that you do not forget the things which your eyes have seen and they do not depart from your heart all the days of your life; but make them known to your sons and your grandsons”

Take aways


  1. Storytell, make known the incredible things God has done in your life. Anyone can tell stories. Share with others, share with your kids. They have this incredible ability to remember stories from mom and dad and re-tell them to others. They’re going to share stuff about you anyway, might as well give them some positive material. Even little children are some of the best storytellers I’ve ever heard. My children often tell stories about me that I would prefer weren’t told. I’m sure you can relate in some way. 
  2. Storytelling or re-telling the story of what God has done in your life encourages others, edifies the Lord, and keeps what he is done at the forefront of your mind so that you do not forget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison: The Invisible Poison

“It’s been a long week”

Idleness vs. Active Rest